Menu

COVID-19 UPDATE: Our warehouse is OPEN and we are shipping orders daily | FREE Lavari Jewelers hand sanitizer with purchase over $50

No products in the cart.

How To Keep A Sterling Silver Jewelry From Tarnishing?

Although sterling silver jewelry will tarnish over time, there are ways to prevent it or at least slow it down. There are various techniques on how to better take care of your sterling silver jewelry. Learn these simple methods you can even do at home.

Sterling silver jewelry pieces are classic and always pleasing to the eye. Their lustrous look surely entices people who are searching for shiny jewelry at a low price. Sterling silver jewelry is made of shiny and versatile metal. However, many people are surprised when these jewelry pieces suddenly become tarnished and corroded.

Although sterling silver jewelry will tarnish over time, there are ways to prevent it or at least slow it down. There are various techniques on how to better take care of your sterling silver jewelry. Learn these simple methods you can even do at home.

Before heading to the step-by-step guide on how to better handle your sterling silver jewelry, let us first look briefly on what sterling silver jewelry is and why it tarnishes.

Sterling Silver Jewelry

Sterling silver is said to be the most popular silver alloy. This jewelry is usually called .925 silver, as it consists of 92.5% fine silver. The other 7.5% is made of other materials, usually of copper. For more background on sterling silver jewelry, click on this link that will lead you to our previous post on this type of jewelry.

Tarnishing

Sterling silver jewelry is very attractive especially if you are the type of person who loves shiny pieces. However, sterling silver tarnishes over time. It loses its glossy appearance due to its exposure to oxygen. Another factor is the oxidative reactions that occur with sulfur.

3

A sample of a tarnished sterling silver ring

4

If you think wearing your sterling silver jewelry often increases the chance of its tarnishing, you need to be aware that keeping them and not wearing them for a long time will also lead to tarnishing and corrosion. You might be asking now, “So what should I do with my sterling silver jewelry, then? Will there be ways to prevent its tarnishing?”

Do not fret. Yes, there are many ways on how to keep your sterling silver jewelry from tarnishing. Read on and you will realize that you can do these simple ways even at home.

Tip 1: Know where to store your sterling silver jewelry

You can keep your sterling silver jewelry in almost any jewelry container you have. But the best one you should use to store your sterling silver is in a regular zippered plastic bag.

Silica Packs are placed inside storage areas to keep products or items moisture free. They are often seen in new shoes, bags, and even clothes. Next time you buy new stuff and see these packs, remember to keep them and use them for your sterling silver jewelry storage. You can keep your jewelry from damage and you can help save the planet by recycling as well!

8

Anti-tarnish cloths absorb sulfur and oxygen and ultimately prevent tarnishing. Use them in your sterling silver jewelry after use to wipe away sweat and other damaging substances.

 

Tip 5: Do not leave your sterling silver jewelry anywhere

After using your sterling silver jewelry, store them immediately and do not let them lay anywhere to prevent exposure to humidity. Do not wear your jewelry pieces while in the shower or when swimming, too. Exposing your sterling silver to moisture, humidity, and chlorine will increase the risk of tarnishing.

 

Tip 6: How to clean a tarnished sterling silver jewelry

If you are not able to prevent the tarnishing or corroding of your sterling silver jewelry, then immediately clean it with a polishing cloth that’s specifically designed for silver. If it can’t be repaired by polishing then use a silver wash.

However, if damage has progressed, it is best to bring your sterling silver jewelry to a professional jeweler. Do not experiment at home to avoid further corrosion.

 

Sparkling Sterling Silver

Now that you know how to take good care of your sterling silver jewelry, and you are sure how to handle them next time you purchase more. Check out our beautiful sterling silver collection at Lavari Jewelers.

Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00